Saturday, March 28, 2015

How to Write a Book


Hey Guys, and Welcome Back!


It's hard writing books, you know that much. You've been searching the Internet for hours, just trying to find some new information. That is, until you come here. I've finally figured out the 10 secrets to writing, and you are in luck, because I'm sharing them with you.


     1. Sharpen Your Pencil
     Even Beverly Cleary couldn't start writing until she got her pencil sharpened. But it doesn't even have to be a pencil. Instead open a new document page (I prefer OpenOffice instead of Word) and get your font and size ready.

     2. Cage Your Inner Editor
     I must confess, I can't write if I had made a mistake. If I go to bed knowing I made a typo, I have to force myself not to get out of bed to fix it, and just go to sleep. Inner Editors are like poison to writers - at least until you have to proof read. Now, this may sound cheesy and weird, but imagine your inner editor. Is it a man, or a woman? Is it wearing glasses? Holding a notebook? Now, after you've gotten in your head what your editor looks like, press that button on the image above. Done? Well, good for you, your editor is now contaminated until further notice.

     3. Do an Outline, But Not Really
     I know how to do an outline, I just choose not to do one. Why? Because in my opinion, they take to much time. It goes either way though. But if you are like me, and don't want to write an outline for every idea for a story in your head, simply do what I do, and that is make an outline, but not really. You're probably confused by now, and thinking I'm some sort of writing freak. Let me explain though. To make an outline, but not really, all you need to do is jot down your ideas for the story's plot, and put them in order. For example:
1. Mary Lou's Dad is gone
2. Goes in hot air balloon
3. Finds tribe
4. Completes challenges
5. Gets Dad back
etc.
     And it doesn't even have to be in a row. Each number can be either very close to the first paragraph, or even several chapters away. The good thing about this, it that it takes only time to imagine what is going to happen, then only five seconds to write it down.
     4. Snowflake Method
     Not to long ago, I found this awesome method to writing a book. And that is called the Snowflake Method. Basically all you have to do, is for each chapter write a sentence that explains the whole entire chapter. When you are done, write a paragraph using the sentence, to go in more depth about the chapter. Then, write a full page about you chapter using the paragraph, and go on from there. To see the full article, click this link:

(Credit to NanoWrimo for the image used above).
     5. Think of It as a Rollercoaster Ride
     Every book needs a plot, and every plot need action. Many people like to use a check mark as reference, I would rather use a rollercoaster. All you have to remember are the 5 parts. Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, and resolution. It's really easy to remember this, for its just going up and down. Use your climaxes wisely though. No one likes a dry book with zero climax, or are confused with too much. I personally add climax every few chapters for my book Kitty Bits, only because it moves the story forward. 

 
  6. Weave Character Development and Setting Through the Book
     If you've read my list on First Chapter Cliches, you know what I'm talking about. Don't do a laundry list in the first chapter - or any chapter for that matter. Here are two examples:
     #1 - 
     The sky was peaked with pink and fluffy clouds, floating along the horizon. Down to the west, a meadow full of daisies, that were laid perfectly, speckled the view. To the east, a little cabin, set ever so snugly between to enormous trees, was next to a sparkling lake full of water.
      My dress, with its blue bodice and calico trimmings, swayed in the perfect wind. Pearls on the sleeves and front, lace peaking out from the bottom. My hair was done in a sophisticated bun, piled on top of my head, with golden ringlets slipping behind my ears. My skin, so pink and tender, picked up a daisy, and as I smelled it, my beautiful blue eyes sparkled.
     #2 -
     I laughed and pulled my blue skirts closer as I ran in the daisy fields close to my house. I tried not to slip on the lace on the bottom of my dress, or get it dirty, for it was a new smock. I stopped and sat down. Fingering my pearl buttons on my sleeves and looking at the little cabin. The little cabin, so snug between two trees. Laying down, a sigh escaped my lips, and I closed my blue eyes, trying to memorize the day. I opened them again, and smiled at the pink and fluffy clouds that were floating on the horizon. Getting up, I laughed again, for my before sophisticated bun, had hair escaping and was bouncing behind my ears. 
     As I made my way to the house, I stopped, and cupped my pink hands to take a sip of water from the little lake near the house. I looked at my reflection and noted my calico trimmings on the sleeves with the wind pushing them to the side ever so slightly.

Which one do you like better? I personally like the second one more, for you get a lot more of the character, and the place she is in.

     7. Don't Repeat Words
     Every now and then, I come across a paragraph in a book, which has a lot of repetition with words. Here's two more examples:
      #1
      "Could you be more quiet, and stop repeating me?" Grace asked, shutting her book closed.
      "Repeating me?" Jimmy repeated.
      Grace couldn't take the repeating any longer. If he repeated one more word, she would lose her mind. 
     "Don't you dare repeat me," that's how it had all started. That one little sentence that was just waiting to be repeated.
     #2
     "Could you be more quiet, and stop repeating me?" Grace asked, shutting her book closed.
     "Repeating me?" Jimmy echoed.
     Grace couldn't take the parroting any longer. If he repeated one more word, she would lose her mind.
     "Don't you dare echo me," that's how it had all started. That one little sentence that was just waiting to be repeated.
    
      Notice I used 'repeat' a few times in the second example. Using the same words is not all bad, but only if you use them wisely.
   


     8. Broaden Your Vocabulary
     Use a thesaurus, a dictionary, or even an encyclopedia. Try to broaden your vocabulary. This is a big debate for writers, especially if they are writing for a younger or older group. Should you say 'dead' or 'deceased'? Should you use 'video' or 'program'? Personally, I think it depends on the way you present it. If you use 'dead', then you would mean 'dead reality'. If you mean 'deceased', then you would mean 'she has been deceased since last Friday', etc.

     9. Push on Writing
     Even if it kills you, just push on writing. Spend at least an hour every day to work on one chapter, or two. Give yourself goals, and you'll find out soon that you are achieving them. Writing a book is hard, but it is very rewarding and you learn self-discipline along the way.

     10. Check for Good Punctuation, Spelling, and Grammar
     Probably the most tedious part of the process, the proofreading! Once you have finished writing your first book draft, I will send back you Inner Editor, which I made promise to not bug or annoy you. Read aloud sentences. Delete or add to unsure paragraphs. Make sure you capitalize correctly, and place your punctuation marks right. 

Tips
Here are some tips that don't go in any order at all.

  • Make sure your reader gets 'something' out of it.
  • See how many words you can write in five minutes, then write twice as many words in the same amount of time.
  • Every character -protagonist or antagonist- should have a goal.
  • Do as much as you can in one sitting.
  • Keep index cards and an Ikea pencil in your pocket, that way you'll be ready when an idea hits you.
  • Develop characters correctly
  • Write detailed yet simple dialogue
  • Brainstorm!
Well, that was my tutorial for today. Thank-you for reading, and have a great day!


      


    

No comments:

Post a Comment