Tuesday, March 24, 2015

DIY Art Travel Case Review

Hey Guys, and Welcome Back!


Being an urban artist is hard. You have to have all the materials in one place, but in such a way that you can easily take it out and put it away again. There are many different portable cases for your supplies, but they cost so much! I wouldn't exactly want to pay forty dollars, especially if I figured out a way to make one for only fourteen dollars, with stuff around the house.

*NOTE*
I found this guy on YouTube that gave me the inspiration to make one myself. If you want to see his review and credit his idea, click here:





     The first thing that I want to point out, is my watercolor sketchbook. It has twelve pages, and a spiral binding, which is what I had been looking for. The quality of the paper is nice, and the book itself was cheap. Conveniently, it was the last one in the store, and it was right next to the set of paints I bought.




     Here is the outside of the box. I used an iPhone 4S case because it has dividers on the inside. (You'll see them in a few pictures below). Then I just decorated it with sticky paper that has a flower image that I just saved and printed off the internet.



     This is what it looks like on the inside. It doesn't look like much at first glance, but I store my mini pens, pencils, and brushes in this section. To keep these items in place, I used my kneaded eraser.


     The mini writing utensils were easy. I just had to cut the pencils and brushes down to size. (I used dog toenail clippers). You can sand off the ends as well, I just didn't have sandpaper at the moment.     
      The pen was a little bit harder. I had to unscrew the cap and pull it apart. Then I had to cut the ink part, in such a way that the cap part would fit. After that, I taped the end so that ink wouldn't spill out. When I had finished all of that, I measured the ink part with the cap on top, so that it aligned with the end of the pen. I cut it all with dog toenail clippers, only because it left a cleaner edge, and I didn't want anything to crack and chip.



     On the underside of the top I took those Apple stickers that come with your device, and glued it, sticker side down. The material they use for the sticker back is nice, because the water and paint will just sit on top of it, rather than soaking up in the paper.


     Below the pens and such, we have the paint and other necessities section. I was trying to find a good size box that would fit a good amount of paints, or at least a container that would hold my paints, to put in the box. I found both. On the left, you see my watercolor paints, and on the right are my other items, like a sponge, and pencil sharpener.




     On the right side, I have a cut sponge, a towel, a pencil sharpener, and a bottle cap. I was trying to find a smaller pencil sharpener -which I had- but it was much heavier then the one with two slots, so I just took the bigger one. The sponge I just took from the kitchen sink and cut it along the edge. I also took a old rag towel and cut it on the side. The bottle cap I will fill with water, so that I can clean a brush without having to use a glass jar.



     For the paints I used a pill pan. I tried to get off all the shiny aluminum stuff, but that didn't work, as you can see above. I took some watercolor tube paints and squirted them into the holes. Then I let it dry overnight. Now, whenever I want to paint, I just apply a wet brush. If you're wondering about the empty pill slot in the middle, that is for my white paint. I just haven't been able to find a white paint tube that I could buy separately.  


    One random thing I would like to add; when I went shopping to buy the sketchbook and paints, there was a vending machine in the mall. That certain vending machine had a Pikachu on the inside. Strange, huh?



     Oh, and Duchess says "hi".

Well, that was my review for today. Thank-you for reading, and have a great day.







No comments:

Post a Comment