Sunday, March 15, 2015

First Chapter Cliches

Hey Guys, and Welcome Back!


    


      Do you ever feel like this lady when you read a book? If I find a new book I would like to read, I usually go to a library first. This way, if I truly like it then I would go to a bookstore and pay for it, and if I really hated it, then I would happy dance that it was free.
      Most of the time I stop at the first chapter. Why? Well, it's too cliche, and by the time I'm done with the first page, I know what's going to happen next. If you are an author (like I am) you really need to know how to hook people, and how to bore people. 
   
  So, I made a small list of the top first chapter cliches.



     Probably the top cliche, although one that is really only in YA novels and childrens books for 8-12 year olds, is waking up. This one is the most popular. But it makes sense. You just started your book, so why not start your main character's day? 
    

     But let's talk the truth here and say that most things make sense, but really don't matter. Take for example this paragraph:

       BUZZ! BUZZ! BUZZ! I groan and roll over to shut of the alarm. I don't want to get out of bed, so I fall asleep. 
      I wake up again. What time is it? I look over, 7:30! I'll be late for school! I scramble out of bed and pull off my clothes of the chair.

      Where did you stop? Although this is short and can't really be used for a comparison, just imagine that for a whole entire page? 
       Another cliche for the waking up paragraph is an alarm buzzing off. Why the heck would you add that? If you are going to add alarm to your story, simply state "the alarm started buzzing". People don't need sound effects, unless of course it's a comic book.
     
     This cliche I face a lot. Especially in tween-teen novels. Can you guess what it is? Is it:
      
      (a) The first day of school
      (b) Start of summer vacation
      (c) In the bathroom putting on makeup (if it's a girl)
 
   If you picked (a), then you are correct! Most novels nowadays start on the first day of school. This has the same principle as the first one - getting out of bed. As usual it makes sense. But do you sense a pattern? 

     Plus, if it is the first day of school, usually the "new girl" gets picked on by the populars, just to make it seem more interesting. But you would have to be a really good writer to make it be interesting.
      Also, why do the books end with a disaster prom, while the not so "new girl" gets dumped by her boyfriend? It's been used way to many times in my opinion.
     
     Another cliche would be starting with the weather.
   "In Denver, Colorado, the sun shone down from a crystal blue sky on Saturday, June 25, 1881. It was two o'clock in the afternoon.
    To the west stood the magnificent Rocky mountains with their snow capped peaks and the restful green of pine and fir trees amid the cool gray of their stony crags. These mountain features seemed distant, yet were companionably close."
     Does this sound familiar? Sure it sounds poetic and it paints a picture in your mind, but it's also unnecessary. Most agents dislike this, for they would rather get right to the story. The only reason you would want to add the weather, would be because it had something to do with the story. Like conflicts and such. Also, don't forget good context.

     
     Also, when is life so perfect, that you describe the sun as "a glorifying lamp lighting up the sky" or the grass "being lush green with poppys hither and thither"? Of course, I might be exaggerating, but it happens a lot.

     Another cliche would be prologues. This is the top on agent's pet peeves lists. Don't do it. If you can't do anything without a backstory, I would recommend dropping the story until you get more ideas, or even drop it all together.
     Make your prologues Chapter 1. Please. 

     Don't start with a dream! Please. The readers will feel cheated after they read it, for they thought it was actually happening. You don't want to do this even if you use italics to indicate it is a dream, for it's super annoying. 

     I'm guessing you've heard the saying: "Dream Big!" Well, this does not apply to stories. The only reason people do start this way, is because they can introduce the characters and create a sort of virtual world that might (not) captivate the readers attention. Agent's especially hate this, because it's clear that you are trying to hook someone. Plus, it makes the author look amateur, even though they might not be.
     
     It's really hard to write in first person POV without sounding vain. Especially if you are trying to explain their characteristics in the first chapter. If you started saying things like, "my hair with it's golden hues glistened as I paced the paths", this would make readers stop and question the main character.
     The cliche easy way out? Looking at a mirror.


     Though this is easy, it gets old quick. Sometimes though, it's not even a mirror. Take this for example:
     "As I walked down the smelly streets, I stopped and look at the puddle reflecting my face. I gasped, for my usually shiny hair was now a tangly brown, and my eyes were as baggy as yoga pants."
     Goodness gracious! And don't get me straight on all the puddles, mirrors, and swords authors use to describe their characters.

Another major cliche is starting with the main character running away from someone. This is typically in most fantasy and/or mystery novels. Writers think it's a great way to start action, after all, that's what agents want, right?


     

     But instead, it's really confusing. You start wanting to know what happened before, and before you know it you're are stuck and asking a lot of questions. Especially since you don't know from who and why they are running. Don't think it's a great hook, it might be, but only for a few paragraphs. Plus, you'll have a lot of trouble with character development. 
  
     The last cliche for a first chapter, is a laundry list. Right now you are probably wondering what I mean, so let me explain.

     A laundry list in a story, is basically a page whole list on how the character dresses, acts and eats. This is a big problem, only because we as readers like to imagine how the characters look like, and lists like these can really plug our imagination. Also, most character laundry lists end up making characters Mary/Gary Sues. Listen to what one agent had to say about this:


“I dislike endless ‘laundry list’ character descriptions. For example: ‘She had eyes the color of a summer sky and long blonde hair that fell in ringlets past her shoulders. Her petite nose was the perfect size for her heart-shaped face. Her azure dress—with the empire waist and long, tight sleeves—sported tiny pearl buttons down the bodice. Ivory lace peeked out of the hem in front, blah, blah.’ Who cares! Work it into the story.”
—Laurie McLean, Larsen-Pomada Literary Agents
     And she's right. Work it into the story. If you don't, that will signal a red flag and your manuscript will be dismissed.
     Well, that my list of First Chapter Cliches, I hope you enjoyed. Thank you for reading, and have a great day!
***NOTE***
I do not own any of these images, all credit goes to their owners.





     


No comments:

Post a Comment